Miller's Station was originally one of the twenty or so way stations along the Carson River branch of the California Emigrant Trail in 1849 and 1850. It became a Pony Express relay station when the Pony Express started in 1860. It became known as Reed's Station when G.W. Reed purchased it on July 1, 1861.
On October 19, 1860, Sir Richard Burton passed through Miller's station and gave this description:
"At Miller's Station, which we reached at 2:30 p.m., there really was one pretty girl. Whilst the rain was heavy we sat round the hot stove, eating bread and cheese, sausages and anchovies, which Rabelais, not to speak of other honest drinkers, enumerated amongst provacatives to thirst."