Patee House

Located in St. Joseph, a Missouri River town, the Patee House is a building with historic connections to the Pony Express.

Opened by John Patee in 1858 as a luxurious hotel, it was the center of Western history for 25 years, from the start of the Pony Express to the death of Jesse James.

The hotel, when built, cost $180,000 and had 140 guest rooms. It featured fine Brussels carpets, and winding stairs. It is a National Historic Landmark for its role as headquarters for the Pony Express when Russell, Majors and Waddell had their office there starting April 3, 1860.

The US Provost Marshall's office and the Union Recruiting Office were in the Patee House during the Civil War. The building was a hotel three times, and a girl's college twice before serving as a shirt factory for -80 years.

It was called World's Hotel when Jesse James was killed just a block away on April 3rd, 1882. His widow was interviewed there by the Sheriff the next morning. The Jesse James Home Museum is now on the grounds of the Patee House Museum.

The Patee House is the subject and location of many made for TV documentaries on the subject of St. Joseph, western history, the Pony Express and Jesse James. It serves as the terminus and starting point for NPEA Re-Runs on alternate years.

The museum is open year long and is owned and operated by the Pony Express Historical Association.